Faith is normally associated with religious views is therefore not bothered to be truly understood by many, but what is faith and why is it important
According to Webster’s dictionary, faith can be defined as:
a) “a firm belief in something for which there is no proof; a complete trust.”
b) allegiance or duty to a person
The Truth about Faith?
There are really in my opinion two meanings to describe Faith.
1. The first being: “a strong expression of trust or belief in someone or something where there is a lack of proof for that thing or person“.
2. The second being: “a strong loyalty shown to somebody, or refusing to abandonment or betray”.
Hebrews 11:1 Tells us that: “Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.”
Why is Faith important
Faith is the single most important part of Christianity, without faith we have nothing, we are saved from nothing and we can do nothing (supernaturally speaking). Faith is literally the currency of the spiritual realm, it is through faith that everything in the spiritual realm operates. We are told very clearly that without faith we cannot please God this can be seen in Hebrews 11:6:
“And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him”
The reason faith is so important in the eyes of God is that our demonstration of faith to Him symbolizes 3 key things.
- The first is that we are showing, and proving to God through our faith in him that we trust and believe He is who He says He is and that He has done and will do everything that He said He did and would. In doing this we show reverence and respect to Him.
- The second thing faith does is that it humbles us and shows God that we are willing to submit to His authority and follow the path that He has chosen for us. We prove through our faith and actions that we are, and will remain loyal and stand by His Word and Testimony no matter what.
- The third thing faith does is gives us the power through Jesus Christ to be utilized by God to do miraculous and supernatural things in the world. As I stated previously you can look at faith as the currency of the spiritual realm. The stronger our faith becomes, the closer and stronger our relationship with Jesus Christ becomes. As our relationship is strengthened God can trust and depend on us more and we can thus be utilized more by Him to carry out His will here on earth.
Growing your faith takes perseverance and obedience to God. Your faith is constantly being tested and as you learn to depend and trust God to get you through these times of testing your faith grows. You begin to have revelation of who God is, and the deep love He has for you. You realize that He is consistently faithful and will never leave or forsake you. This in turn increases your faith and love for Him and grows the strength of your relationship.
James 1:3 tells us : “For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.”
When it all boils down to it, faith is all about the relationship, think about your relationships with your family, spouse, and friends. At the beginning of the relationship, trust and faith is weak and fragile. As the relationships grow by spending time together and learning more about them, so too does the strength of the faith and trust you have in those individuals. The more this faith and trust grows, the more you can depend on them and the more they can depend on you.
It is the same scenario with God, He is our creator, our Heavenly Father and he desires a relationship with us, He desires that we depend, trust and have faith in Him. As we spend more time in His Word, and we get to know His character and who He really is, our relationship with him grows and our faith in Him becomes stronger and stronger. We begin to depend on Him, trust Him, and want to remain faithful to him more no matter what situation we may be going through.
Faith is everything, and without it we are nothing and we have nothing, I would encourage you to take some time to look into God’s Word and read about what God has to say about faith. You can also check out our post on bible verses about Faith.